A Journey of a Thousand Miles …

A Journey of a Thousand Miles …

Day 1: Sunday, 30 August, 2015

I always knew that my dreams were going to come true one day, those famous words ONE DAY. Now that I am finally doing it, it feels surreal.

Second adventure overseas…this goodbye was harder for some reason. The crying didn’t stop until after the security checks. It was a little more heart sore leaving my family behind this time for reasons I just can’t seem to explain. One of those things in life that you know will come but choose not too, you know. We were going to grow up at some point and become . . . ADULTS. Now it’s finally time to earn my keep, it’s finally time for my FIRST job.

The journey to New Zealand was alright, I didn’t feel so great and was very uncomfortable. My whole body ached and pained. But you know what, God got me to New Zealand safe and sound, the food on the plane was good, I sat next to nice people, and watched lekker movies but BEST of all…what I thought was going to be seventeen hours turned out to be 10 hours and 45 minuets plus the three hours to New Zealand. The hotel was a grand welcome to a day of traveling, security checks, grumpy people and speed walking. It was clean, and the bed…oh, the bed was GREAT! I only got to sleep at around midnight though. After a early morning and a little call to the family, Roadcat came to get me and I was on my way to the farm. Now, at my new home…Cambridge Stud in Cambridge on the North Island in NEW ZEALAND. (I just had to say the whole line, doesn’t feel quite real yet)

First of all, jet lag is not so bad. Maybe I am just coping better with it than I thought. After I arrived at the accommodation two of the boys came out to say hello and help with my bag. I honestly cannot even remember their names. I am so freakin bad. After a slow unpacking session into my tiny ass closet, I discovered the Wifi code and set off on facebook. Inbetween facebook and not wanting to go outside of my room I had a very nice nap really. I just kept having that feeling that I am falling though, must’ve been all the flying. Today I met an Irish “lad”. I also met a nice (very tall too) New Zealand guy (I presume) who has a girlfriend, and another lovely guy (oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I cannot remember his name!) He was so kind to let me tag along to the shops with him. Which I have been panicking about for ages while my stomach was eating me from the inside. It was really nice of him. His accent is a little bit strong for me to understand but he has the most amazing, kind smile. I am not sure what it going to happen tomorrow, I think I might just go to work with the guys and see what happens. I dont want to seem lazy if I stay at home and wait for someone to come to me and don’t want to get in the way tomorrow morning either. Dad just told me to follow my instincts so let’s do this thing!


Let’s do this!

Day 2 – Monday, 31 August, 2015

So I have decided to just go with the boys this morning and see what happens. What harm can it do?

This house is quite disgusting, my room smells like the cabins in Plettenburg Bay (which is not so bad really, loved that smell) I was scared to sleep under my covers, so I kinda froze, I forgot to buy sugar, dreading to drink my coffee, could hardly eat my toast this morning….the jam was nice though. I am so scared to start today?!? “What if I can’t do this!” that is the constant doubt in my mind! I AM SO SCARED right now! I keep reminding myself though … God would not have put me here if I couldn’t do it!

It is now the end of the day, it went fairly well. Marcus (the manager) is nothing like I thought he was going to be. He is really nice, and helpful. I am warming up to the guys as well, I think they are also getting used to me too. Tyson and Lochie are really nice, until tonight I was still a little scared of Sean, he called me out to see where the mares foal at night. Was quite a foaling, they don’t help at all, like at all. The mare was struggling for more than 10 minuets and they still didn’t do anything. But eventually they gave her a hand. I also observed the same thing at the foaling I did today. ( my first foaling at Cambridge Stud) luckily when they do help the mares they pull the foal to the hocks and rub it’s nose and stuff … just like Summerhill. They also try and keep it off the floor which I think is smart, it’s still level with the mares pelvis…that way it can’t get stuck.

All I can say for the rest of the day is that they New Zealanders are just super dooper, REALLY chilled. I went on a feed run with one of the girls, Leesha…it was cold and rainy but was a lekker 4×4 ride around the farm.

Need to get used to their accents as well, they just talk so fast! And the yearling manager was even talking to me like I don’t understand English?!? That really made my day!

Day 4 – Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Oh my golly, today was just BLEH. I am sitting now pouring my heart out to my sister because the only thought that entered my mind today is that THIS is NOT worth missing Christmas and New Years for! I don’t know what to say really. It’s just this place, I never know what is going on….I don’t have a place and I seem to just wonder around. There is just so much going on in my head right now.

Other than that, I finally conquered the whole taxi story and did some shopping. My stomach won’t be growling for a good while now! Phew.

Day 7 – Saturday, 5 September 2015

First weekend in New Zealand.

I am finally having really good nights sleep, no more “Jet Lag” and waking up up at three in the morning at least.

Yesterday was my day off, one of the girls that work here, Hannah, took me to sort out my phone which was a huge help! At least I have got that sorted, and I also got my bank card today! Now I must just wait until it is filled with some money!
I had big plans to explore the town yesterday but with this whole transport story to get there and back is just a hassle! And taking a cab is considered a sin at this stud…to be fair…sixty bucks is also a little mad! Anyways, I was thinking of actually buying a car while I am here and selling it before I go. That would make me some decent bucks….even just selling it to the stud for the other temporary staff to use in the future.

I am still feeling a little lost at the moment. I don’t know how to explain it really. I just thought that I would be happier and more excited about this? I remember when I was at Summerhill and even National Stud for that matter. I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning and had massive butterflies in my stomach for the day ahead! I was pumped, enthusiastic, ready for anything! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!? I just want to slap myself and say, “You are in freakin New Zealand, a whole other world….who gets to travel so much and your only 21!!! You are so LUCKY!”

What is wrong with me?

Day 8 – Sunday, 6 September 2015

So, it’s the end of the week. It hasn’t been the week that I have expected at all. I don’t want to go through it all, there is no point in it really. I had different visions about this place and everything. I am mostly just disappointed but yet this is just another lesson of life that I needed to learn.

All I just want to do now is just go home. (Wow, not what you were expecting?!?) Or even just sort out my visa and go to Australia now. I don’t want to miss Christmas with my family or New Years, but it’s not only that. I feel that this is really not worth missing Christmas and New Years with the family. Is it quitting if you want to do something for yourself? Is it quitting if you don’t want to be treated like dirt and take a stand? I have no idea, to be fair. Who knows, maybe I look back in a few weeks and say…”I can’t believe I felt like that!”

I will finish of this weeks diary with. . .God put me here for a reason and I am going to conquer this one way or another.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s